The Losses Keep Mounting
More than $8.4 billion a year is lost to Construction Industry Tax Fraud! Watch the losses climb, from Jan. 1, 2017 to now.
We Stood Up, We Took Action!
When it’s time to take action, UBC members always step up to the plate. The UBC Days of Action 2019 campaign was no exception. Click here to see the video that proves it, and see more info and photos below.
The member response was tremendous during Tax Fraud Days of Action, centered around April 15, when regional councils held events across the U.S. and Canada to educate the public and urge policymakers to combat the epidemic of Construction Industry Tax Fraud.
Thousands of UBC members visited state houses, rallied, spoke at educational forums, and handed out flyers at post offices and other public places.
UBC members carried the message that it’s time for fairness—for workers, legitimate contractors and the taxpaying public. No more free rides for cheating contractors and the industry players who look the other way.
Union Carpenters took a stand against tax fraud and here is what was accomplished:
- Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers signed an executive order creating the Governor’s Joint Enforcement Task Force on Employee Misclassification;
- Montana Governor Steve Bullock signed an executive order creating a Task Force on Integrity in Wage Reporting and Employee Classification;
- Canada’s Finance Minister Bill Morneau met with UBC District Vice President Jason Rowe;
- Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel launched a Payroll Fraud Law Enforcement Unit;
- Over 160 news stories across the continent and an explosion of social media covered tax fraud events;
- State Attorneys General Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania, Bob Ferguson of Washington, Brian Frosh of Maryland and Letitia James of New York attended events.
The photos here show just some of the events where UBC members stood up against tax fraud. We also include links to some of the media coverage from the Days of Action.
This isn’t the end of it. We will not give up!
Philadelphia Inquirer 4-3-19
It’s time to hold tax-cheats in construction accountable
Philly Voice 4-9-19
When contractors cheat, we all pay
Missouri times 4/10/19
Opinion: Tax Cheats Hurt Taxpayers and Honest Workers
Eagle Tribune (MA) 4/11/19
Carpenters: Industry plagued by tax fraud
Daily Commercial News (Toronto) 4/12/19
Carpenters Launch Days of Action to Combat Tax Fraud
Real Deal (NYC) 4/15/19
Officials at rally say construction tax fraud and fatalities are linked: City saw 3 construction-related deaths last week
NBC 5, 4/15/19
Carpenters take to streets to warn about tax fraud: Rallies across New York state aim to educate public
Wisconsin Public Radio, 4/15/19
Evers Administration Targets Payroll Fraud with New Task Force: Governor Announces New Initiative on Tax Day
Montana Governor Pressroom, 4/15/19
On Tax Day, Governor Bullock Creates Task Force to Ensure Montanans Receive Fair Pay
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 4/15/19
Officials and unions urge enforcement of tax laws in construction industry
Uprise RI, 4/16/19
Elected leaders join Carpenters in rally at Sate House to call attention to tax fraud
Maine public radio, 4/20/19
New England Regional Council of Carpenters Call for an End to ‘Rampant Tax Fraud” at Portland Rally
US News & World Report, 4/22/19
Michigan AG Plans Crackdown on Worker Misclassification: Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel is establishing a special unit in her office to investigate payroll fraud and the misclassification of workers by “shady” businesses